Monday, July 20, 2015

Kitchen remodel

Kitchen is finally getting its most dearly needed 17". Started the demolish work January 30.  Sort of accidentally. We learned that we could have a gas line piped to our house for free if we installed a gas furnace. The gas line was installed in January of 2014. 
But we never installed the gas furnace. We love our wood stove insert. It keeps most of our tiny house (1100 sq ft) super warm, but we have been dealing with moisture issues. Our house is (mostly) on a cement slab, so moisture will always be a problem, I'm told. We live on Springville Road. There must be springs everywhere. 
Then in November/December we received a letter from the gas company stating that we would need pay an upwards of $3000-$5000 for the install if we did not install a furnace within 3 months. 
That lit a fire for some forward progress. 
 We've missed cooking on our gas range since we moved, so we always thought we would eventually install a gas range. 
I did all the work to refinance our house, so we started the process of purchasing and installing a gas furnace and gas range. We paid for that to get done.  But we still have no vented hood duct for our stove. One more sore spot for me. I've tried installing a vent fan too many times. (Once again, small house, food odors all over.  I hate the smell of cooked eggs, cooked fish, etc). The carbon monoxide detector is (normally) on top of the refrigerator, but who knows if it's accurate or will help an emergency CO incident.  Please be.
Back to demolition story. I can demolish anything.  But when will I learn how to build?  Someone accidentally messed up the wall behind the fake vent, so there was no turning back. Started demolishing without a plan or a general contractor. I thought we could work together. I'd do tear down of dry wall, he'd do the build up of new wall.  Wrong. 6 months later, we hired a GC to finish the job.  I still demolished most everything, but could not take down the beam by myself.  Things always take longer than necessary. Clean up and messes happen at the most inopportune time, so that I find myself doing clean up two or three times during a job that take most contractors one hour to complete. 







 New cabinets to come sometime within the next month. I removed the dishwasher. We're washing by hand these days. Reminds me of when we first moved in. There was no dishwasher or shower when we first moved in.  To think that we liked this house from the beginning with all of its quirks and quaint items.  
I'm dreading the day when I have to take out the 300 pounds cast iron sink. Will I regret not buying  a new sink to go with the new cabinets?

1 comment:

  1. The kitchen has a lot of vital parts: the plumbing, fridge, oven, kitchen counters, and the gas line. There are just so many details to pour over! So it’s really understandable that you were not able to achieve what you originally intended when you started “demolishing” your kitchen. But at least you’re doing your best to rectify for that gap. Anyways, I hope you get through your kitchen remodel soon! Cheers!

    Evon Brow @ Athens Plumbing

    ReplyDelete